The 12 Volt Electrical Wizard position fits within the context of our unusual and exciting business at Ai Design. We are based in Tuckahoe, NY. This role is not for amateurs. We want experts. Expertise and a command of 12 volt electronics in both modern and vintage vehicles is a mandatory requirement. Additionally experience with high-end vehicles, both luxury models and supercars is necessary. If this sounds like you, please read on!
As a 12 Volt Electrical Wizard at Ai Design, you’ll be tasked with the unique things we do and the ways in which we do them. It’s likely your previous experience will differ greatly from Ai’s typical-day-to-day work. However, as long as you have a solid understanding of all 12-volt working principals, you know your way around a car, you are methodical, careful and a team player, we can train you up from that point.
Experience in car audio using DSPs and audio system tuning should also part of your skillset. If you are a music enthusiast, even better. Ai Design does not install alarms and remote starters, which is what most electrical techs may be used to. You may actually be relieved to not perform those tasks. We are not looking for a 12-volt fabricator. You may have great fabrication skills as well, but we specifically want a 12-volt electrician who understands all things automotive electrical first and foremost.
What You’ll Be Doing at Ai Design:
- Fabrication of thoughtful wiring harnesses with a mimicry of the manufacturer’s wiring style.
- Knowledge of wiring bundling styles such as cloth tape, 3M tapes, expandable braided tubing, heat shrink and use of split loom tubing where applicable to mimic factory wiring techniques.
- Execute varied high-quality connection types, such as soldered, use of ferrules, creating serviceable connectors (Molex, Delphi Weather Pac, Deutsche, etc.) and hydraulic crimping.
- Executing effective sound damping and noise control techniques.
- Bracket fabrication along with the installation of a wide-ranging group of electrical components (audio, convenience, communications, safety, etc.) with an OE level of standard.
- Using your software-minded technical ability for audio system tuning, calibrations, updating firmware or settings and programming of a wide array of items.
- Participating in our weekly production meetings to understand and collaborate on the status of projects in process.
- 8+ years of 12 volt electronics experience.
- Eye for detail. High standard. Clean work.
- Organized and methodical – excellent time management.
- Team player and great communication skills.
- Knowledge of automotive electrical measurements and tools.
- Knowledge of car audio DSP and common audio measurement tools.
- Knowledge of operating popular computer applications related to 12 volt.
- You must be able to duplicate Ai Design’s standard. Care for it, improve upon it, but every day, respect it, and realize that the team follows ONE standard set by its owner, Matt Figliola.
Employment Benefits at Ai Design:
- Excellent compensation – $75k-$115k range depending on the individual’s skills and experience.
- Monday-Friday work schedule (no weekends).
- Weekly production meetings to stay on track with project status.
- No travel required.
- On-the-Job Training for new skills.
- Employer-paid health insurance plan.
- 401k retirement plan with employer contribution.
- Paid Time Off (PTO) allowance.
- Annual performance review.
- Relocation expense stipend for qualified applicants.
- PLUS, no one works on more interesting projects than we do. No one.
About Matt Figliola:
Matt Figliola was the Lead Fabricator and in-shop-innovator for the first 15 years of business at Ai Design. He was installing everything in clients’ cars. No project was too small or too large. At his core, Matt is an owner who started out in the installation bay and knows the challenges of this work as well as any technician or fabricator would. As such, the environment at Ai Design is crafted around Matt’s experiences as that early and dedicated staff member. Who better to lead a team of like-minded technicians? That’s why the core team at Ai Design has been together for a very long time.
About Ai Design:
The work environment at Ai Design speaks for itself. Check out https://www.aidesign.com/ where you’ll find they’ve created some rather extraordinary vehicles. Most of their clients prefer anonymity, but a few you’ve probably heard of: Ai Design created all of the electronics and performance modifications for Alex Roy’s BMW M5, which he used to smash the two-decade old transcontinental driving record. They also customized Ken Block’s CLS55 AMG for a SEMA Show debut. The project included Brabus performance mods, a full custom interior, integrated radar detection, and topped off with a matte black exterior finish. The exterior was extremely radical for the day and the team pulled off a finish that would rival the factory’s best efforts in later years.
Ai Design Facility:
Located in Tuckahoe, NY, Ai Design is one of the cleanest, most organized 10,000 sq.ft. workshop you’ll ever set foot in. They cherish hand craftsmanship while embracing and exploiting the latest technology. In-house CAD-based design capabilities for 3-D printing and a CNC router give Ai Design capabilities only dreamed of in other shops. Be comfortable knowing that the COVID-19 outbreak has only heightened the dedication to a safe and clean working environment for their valued team members. Ai Design doesn’t have the worry of traditional retail floor traffic which makes the workplace an excellent safe space to be creative and excel at your craft.
About Tuckahoe, NY Area
- Nearest airports – Westchester County Airport (HPN / KHPN – 15 miles). LaGuardia Airport (LGA / KLGA -18 miles). Teterboro Airport (TEB / KTEB – 20 miles). John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK / KJFK -26 miles). Newark Liberty International Airport (EWR / KEWR -33 miles).
- Nearby cities to live within 15 miles – White Plains, NY. Tarrytown, NY. Yonkers, NY. New Rochelle, NY. Mamaroneck, NY. Harrison, NY. Port Chester, NY. Hackensack, NJ. Fort Lee, NJ. Fresh Meadows, NY. Westwood, NJ. Elmhurst, NY. Lefrak City, NY. West New York, NJ. Amsterdam Houses, NY. North Mianus, CT. Phipps Houses, NY, Passaic Junction, NJ. Chappaqua, NY. Queensbridge Houses, NY. Ossining, NY. Sunnyside Gardens, NY. Warren Point, NJ.
- Tuckahoe, NY Population – 6656
- Tuckahoe, NY Median Household Annual Income – $70,354
- Tuckahoe, NY Home Ownership (Owner Occupied) – 47%
- Average Commute Time to Work in Tuckahoe, NY – 36.7 minutes
- Average Summer Temperatures in Tuckahoe, NY – June to August, 81-86 degrees F
If you would be relocating to the Tuckahoe, NY (or surrounding) area for this position, Ai Design can assist with recommendations of where to seek housing depending on your needs and acceptable commute time.
A Last Word:
We might come off as intimidating. We get that, but it does not come from arrogance. It comes from our no-compromise work ethic. We don’t cut, corners. We won’t deliver a vehicle until it’s done. We only know one way to do this work. If you are confident in the quality of your skills and the breadth of your experience, please submit a resume. You might be the exact person we’re looking to add to our talented team. There is only one way to find out.
How to Apply
Ai Design retained Ramsey Consulting Group, Inc. to oversee the employment applications and initial phone interview process of applying candidates. Please email your resume in Microsoft Word or PDF format to firstname.lastname@example.org. Put “Ai Design 12 Volt Electrician” in the subject line, please. Consider your email message a cover letter and please include in that message notable installation, technical and other skills, salary history and requirements, time horizon about when you’re looking to gain new employment and your complete contact information. Details matter, so please be thorough in your submission. No in-person visits, phone calls or emails about the position directly to Ai Design, please. All submissions will be kept confidential.