TEMPE, AZ (09.22.22) – Mobile Solutions’ highly successfully Modern Fab workshop concluded its revised in-person 2.0 version class this past September 8-11, 2022. The intensely hands-on, sold out four-day training workshop had participants ranging from upholstery professionals to 12 volt technicians to custom car builders and fabricators. Even a mother and son upholstery shop team. Mobile Solutions founder and CEO Bryan Schmitt said “It was an incredible event with a broad range of fabrication and customization techniques presented between myself and our ultra-talented guest trainers to ensure every attendee got the maximum impact of their time with us here in Arizona.”
The September Modern Fab workshop featured metal fabrication, upholstery and sewing techniques, technology using automation like CNCs and Laser machines, as well as specialty electronic techniques which included coding integration and a micro controller for lighting systems and other switching applications. “We are training on next-level topics in these workshops and elevating all attendees’ skill sets and awareness of technology implementation” remarked Schmitt.
Guest presenters included MasterTech Expo 2022 Build Off winner Rommel Medina (@audiofabricator), upholstery expert Wesley Cato of Anything Car Audio (@anything_audio_upholstery) and industry veteran Doug Dobson (@dobslob). “I think what I enjoyed most about instructing at the workshop is seeing the growth of skills from each and every person throughout the duration of the class. Whether they came with limited knowledge or were seasoned veterans, everyone finished their projects and gained a significant degree of new information. I was very happy to share expertise with this amazing group in the Modern Fab 2.0 workshop” commented Wesley Cato, guest presenter.
The Modern Fab 2.0 workshop’s training topics included:
Designing interior panels and trim elements with the sewing machine processes
- Working from an initial design sketch or rendering
- Sewing machines – what to look for, how to begin sewing
- Patterning and stitching different types of seams
- Using stitching details to add accents to a build
Metal fabrication techniques and skills
- Jigging up metal framework for repeatability
- Structural mounts for service-friendly designs
- MIG and TIG welding techniques and best practices
- Bending and cutting sheet metal for use in interior fabrication
Fabricating and implementing other unique trim and interior elements
- Safety-focused 3D router techniques for incredible dimension with extreme efficiency
- Time-saving techniques for unique using aluminum and plastic trim inserts
- Comprehensive Arduino micro controller code programing for assignable LED lighting
- Accent lighting and layering for maximum visual impact
Interior panel and trim finishing techniques
- Pressed metal grilles/inserts
- Shadow trim, paint tricks such as marbling, faux wood grain, etc.
- Using wood-like veneers and other vinyl-wrap-based materials to emulate a design narrative
- Secrets of finishing back sides on fabricated panels when removed for service
“Everything in the Modern Fab training workshop was so well laid out. I could tell that extensive thought went into every aspect of what I experienced. Whether you are a novice or an expert, you will definitely learn something new, have your skills challenged and finish something that you have never done before” said Archie Speaks for Savannah Custom Car Audio in Savanah, Georgia. Archie and all of the Modern Fab 2.0 attendees built their own take-home project throughout the four training days as part of the hands-on element of this incredible class. After the event concluded, attendee Matthew Parrish remarked “That was such an amazing class. Opened up a whole new world of possibilities. Definitely world class.”
For questions or further information on Modern Fab training, please email Mobile Solutions at sales@mobilesolutions-USA.com or call 480 968-2074.
Watch Mobile Solutions’ Facebook, Instagram and website for more information when the next Modern Fab class and other in-person workshops are announced, as well as MasterTechExpo.com for the 2023 MasterTech Expo education program details slated for March 5-8, 2023 at Mesa Convention Center in Mesa, Arizona.