TEMPE, AZ (05.27.22) – Mobile Solutions’ latest MasterTech training workshop series called Modern Fab took place on May 19-22, 2022 at the company’s Tempe, Arizona headquarters. The sold out workshop was chock full of all new content with a hyper-focused blending of upholstery and stitching techniques, technology using automation like CNCs and Laser machines, as well as specialty electronics and coding integration for lighting and control systems. “Without a doubt this was one of our most technology-driven classes to date and we could not be happier with the outcome. We’ve definitely broken into new territory with this workshop” said Mobile Solutions Founder and CEO, Bryan Schmitt.
Led by Schmitt and guest presenters Rommel Medina and Tony Estrada with additional class time help from Mal Maher of NC Carpet, Wesley Cato and Doug Dobson, the attendees got four incredible days of in-depth skills training around interior fabrication and finishes with the added benefit of the design elements of CAD/CAM software and even programming custom code for LED lighting on Arduino-based control circuits.
The Modern Fab workshop’s training topics included:
Designing interior panels and trim elements with the sewing machine processes
- Working from an initial design sketch or rendering
- Upholstery materials of choice – for hard and soft panel finishes
- Patterning and stitching different seams
- The use of stitching details to add accents to a build
Fabricating and implementing other unique trim and interior elements
- Safety-focused 3D router techniques for incredible dimension with extreme efficiency
- Accent lighting and layering for maximum visual impact
- Secret tricks for unique trim inserts using aluminum and plastic elements
- Comprehensive Arduino code programing for assignable LEDs
Interior panel and trim finishing techniques
- Surface texturing four different ways with paint
- Pressed metal grilles/inserts
- Shadow trim, paint tricks such as marbling, faux wood grain, etc.
- Using wood-like veneers and other vinyl-wrap-based materials to emulate a design narrative
- Secrets of finishing back sides on fabricated panels when removed for service
Moving design and small volume production into the digital world
- The economics for the learning curve for those new to automation
- Terminology used in 2D automation in laser and CNC router setups
- Choosing CAD/CAM software that easily does what’s needed
- Tools and methods for dust collection, air extraction, vacuum clamping and more
- Laser & CNC router examples, applications and actionable Pro Tips
Attendees from the MasterTech Modern Fab training built their own take-home project as part of the hands-on element of this incredible class. Attendee Doyee Jay from Canada said “This is by far the best combination of Tech/Fab/stitching training course hands down! And this is just the beginnings of a whole new chapter, what you take away and the possibilities will make your head spin, Things that were far reach for me is now at my fingertips not to mention I got to connect with so many talented fabricators all over North America.” The project contained multiple layers, dimension and laser-etched lighting panels with the custom programmed circuitry so that everyone’s project was entirely unique. A fellow attendee, Jorge Gonzalez commented “Very powerful training. Thank you for making the effort to provide knowledge that will help us improve our craft! Highly recommend it!”
Although dates have not yet been confirmed, a second 2022 session of Modern Fab will be offered this Fall and is also expected to sell out. Attendee Aaron Murry commented “Awesome class. If you are on the fence about going make the investment it was more than worth it.” Watch Mobile Solutions’ Facebook, Instagram and website for more information when the Modern Fab Fall 2022 workshop is announced.
For questions or further information, please email Mobile Solutions at sales@mobilesolutions-USA.com or call 480-968-2074.
Visit www.mobilesolutions-usa.com for more.